Sunday, January 10, 2010

What it's about

I decided to start a blog mainly in response to a request from a friend of mine to write about all the cool restaurants we go to. I thought I'd also add recipes of my own (or those I have adulterated) as well as any interesting experiences along the way.

This will be a new journey for me, as I've always liked to write but didn't know what to write about (other than the four children's picture books I've written but can't seem to find an agent for).

Back to the restaurant idea, we (husband and friends) dine out quite a bit, which is interesting since I cook dinner at home Sundays through Thursdays (on the table at 7pm). We've found great places to eat and drink in Queens and Brooklyn and I'll be sharing my opinions of those with you.

For starters, Sanford's in Astoria is GREAT! It's open 24 hours, if you've the urge to eat at 3am (I am old and asleep at that time). Tuna tartare is out of this world. Wine list is great, try a Malbec. Sandwiches, main dishes and desserts are all fantastic. We've been here 3 times and never a disappointment. Next time we go, I'll bring back more specific details.

Lastly today, for my first entry, try this at home: Simmer a jar of peeled fresh garlic (or a peeled head or two) in extra virgin olive oil, just enough to cover. When a knife goes through the cloves easily, turn off the heat and let sit till cool. Put cloves in a container and keep in the fridge to add to absolutely anything and everything (pizzas, sandwiches, veggies, meat marinades and rubs...) and keep the cooked oil in a glass bottle with a pour spout to use when sauteing absolutely anything and everything.

xo,
Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment