Sunday, January 10, 2010

Our New Year's Eve (really)

So here's the story of our new year's eve 2009 (really):

Michael and I met our very good friends Joe and Denise at an Italian restaurant in Astoria called Piccola Venezia. We had artichokes and fried calamari and wine, we had sea bass and chicken and risotto, we had coffee, cappuccino and apple strudel. Denise and I wore black feather boas that Michael gave us. We took some photos, we hugged and wished each other a happy new year and went our separate ways. sounds good so far huh?!

Michael and I then drove out to our very good friends house, Glenn and Eileen, for a party with Eileen's family (who we love and see so rarely), and a bunch of their/our other good friends. We had wine and dessert and played pictionary (even though I couldn't see the chart paper and I draw like crap; thanks Leslie for knowing it was flipper!). Midnight came and we all wore party hats and necklaces (light up and not), had noise makers, etc.. Everyone hugged and wished each other a happy new year. Still sounds okay, right?!

Then, Michael and I drove home, or so i thought. Half way there, we called our very good friends, Kim and Andy, who were also having a party and we decided to stop by there as well. We had wine (maybe it was just me) and spoke to friends we haven't seen in a while, and wished everyone a happy new year. So far so good. Then we drove home, yes it was rainy and whatnot, but Michael is a great driver and we made all of our journeys in safety.

About 10 minutes from home, we get a call from Jesse, and lo and behold, a small emergency. He had caught his left pinky finger in a slammed door and his fingernail was ripped off (oh boy) and his nail bed was lacerated. So now where do we go? We (maybe it was just me) took off our uncomfortable shoes and walked across the street to the emergency room. We got in quickly, saw the nurse quickly, saw the ONLY doctor in the whole damn place not so quickly. Did I mention that this began about 2:30am? Anywho, by the time the hand surgeon came, and stitched and went, we finally got home at 8:30am. Not so auspicious a beginning to 2010, but it could have been worse and we'll take it.

Wishing you all a very happy and HEALTHY 2010.

Love, Jan

1 comment:

  1. Damn, you guys were partying like it was 1999 or something. You really made my New Year's look dull. I'm jealous of everything except the ending. Poor Jesse.

    I'm glad you're doing this blog. I'm going to try your garlic and olive oil recipe.

    ReplyDelete