Saturday, January 23, 2010

My friend's sister's blog

I was just introduced to my friend's sister's blog and I am crazy about the way she writes. I have similar thoughts and feelings but CANNOT get them out of my head the way she does. Maybe practice here will improve my skills. (Not sure I have many of those however).

Our son is going to begin college this September. I cannot understand how I feel as if he were just born yesterday and now he's almost 18, or how I could possibly still be 19 and have an 18 year old son. Funny how that happens....

Heard an odd (maybe shocking is the better word) story the other day. There is an 18 year old girl in my son's high school who works at a "massage parlor". I am sure I am naive in thinking this is unbelievable, but I can't stop thinking about it.

Obviously a day of non sequiturs, my thoughts are random, but I do remember that this blog started because of food, so I will let you in on the name of THE BOOK that will hold a large place in my life for the unknowable future: La Cucina, The Regional Cooking of Italy. The Essential Source with 2,000 Authentic Recipes, contributed by the Accademia Italiana Della Cucina.

"Almost 60 years ago in Milan, a group of people came together with a bold idea: to preserve the culinary heritage of their country...Visiting villages in every province...interrupted grandmothers...farmers...carefully taking down notes and techniques."

THE BOOK is the size of an old paper Queens County phone book (for those of you who remember actual phone books, not superpages.com). And I love it! There are several recipes for rice balls, from various regions and I will make them all (eventually). I am currently on page 49 and THE BOOK has 891 pages.

Journey with me if you'd like :)

No comments:

Post a Comment