Thursday, December 8, 2011

Deviation from the Norm (and no, I have not been drinking)

Usually I speak about food, mine or others, fresh or prepared, take out or dine in.  But I am going to deviate from the norm (not actually so unusual for me).

It is the "Holiday Season" and/or the "Christmas Season" and for many it is a very stressful and difficult time of the year.  I am sorry so many actually feel that way and I have friends who have expressed just these feelings to me over the years and lately.

I can understand why many feel this way:  Expectations-great and small; rushing; hurrying; smiling; parties; obligations-familial and otherwise; decorating; participating...Also many miss their closest loved ones the most during the holidays. 

I, on the other hand, have tried (really hard, for a long time) to make this the happiest time for me and my family and friends.  I have many loved ones who are gone, but I remember them fondly and not with a tear in my eye.  I run and rush and decorate and participate (and cook).  I try to be involved in "holiday" activities like seeing our nephew perform in The Nutcracker, shop for presents only after the stores have been decorated, eat at restaurants that are seasonally ornamented and other such things.

Our Christmas tree is stored at Joe's garage (not Zappa's-haha).  Every year it comes into our house and I can't help but smile.  The ornaments that we hang each year are all memories of past events, times, places and people.  The gifts that are placed underneath are all for our most loved friends and family.  Even the plate of cookies for Santa which we put out every Christmas Eve is a reminder of holidays past when Jesse was little and still believed in the fairy tale.

I still believe, not in Santa of course, but in goodness and friendship and man's humanity towards man.  Although these qualities are not always apparent, I do believe that they exist and I look for them and forward to them.

So now you are asking yourself "What is she on?" and "Can I have some?"  The answers are: Nothing and you already have it.  So, I have deviated not only from my food conversation but from my customary scrappy, rational self.  Surprise! And in closing, remember and believe that...All you need is Love!

1 comment:

  1. That was lovely. Merry Christmas to you and your family. We'll bring over some home made cookies later....
    Barb

    ReplyDelete