Thursday, October 25, 2012

Fall Fare

Last week Jennie and I took Barbara out for her birthday. I won't say which one it was, but next year is BIG.

We went to Bamboo Ya on Queens Boulevard.  We have been here before and we sat at the same tatami table with our shoes off.  We had many cups of hot sake and we shared a bunch of small plates:  Cigar spring rolls, salmon skin roll, sweet potato roll, chicken yakitori and vegetable gyoza. We also shared a piece of fried cheesecake for dessert.  Their desserts leave much to be desired, but the menu is good, the food is good and the service is good. And not expensive either :)

Happy Birthday Gracie!

We also went out with Jill, Lenny, Karen, Vince and Patty to Dinosaur BBQ after Jill finished her Avon breast cancer walk.  It has become a yearly ritual.  Mostly beer all around, I had 2 bloody Mary's; garlic chipotle wings and fried green tomatoes for the table.  Then chicken, pork, brisket and a portobello mushroom (with a bit pf pulled pork) for me.  Chocolate ice box cake for dessert and I almost fell asleep on the way to the car. Yummy and great company!

Last week I made lasagna with my own homemade pork sausage.  I made the sausage a week or so ago and froze it.  I ground up country pork boneless spare ribs with fennel seed, fresh garlic, parsley and Parmesan cheese (salt and pepper too).  I have been babysitting Jill's Kitchen Aid mixer (goody for me) and I bought the meat grinder attachment for it.  Works very well, cleans up easily and I am sure there will be more grinding in my future.

Saturday night was our Polikoff Party.  We haven't had one in years.  Forest Hills crowd mainly from Little League.  Wine, beer, Michael's amazing margaritas, Old Bay chicken wings, crudite, cheese, crackers, olives and the rest was frozen appetizers from Costco.  So much dessert-I am cookied out.  And that's not a bad thing.  But since we are visiting Ithaca this weekend, the cookies are going too :)

1 comment:

  1. thank you again. Still haven't gotten my card :(
    Gracie

    ReplyDelete