Monday, November 1, 2010

Busy, Busy, Busy

But Fun!

Friday night Jennie and I took Barbara out for her birthday dinner (even though her birthday was 10/21). We went to Pasta Del Giorno on Austin Street since we hadn't been there in forever. Before you all say "Yuck!" Let me tell you how pleasantly surprised we all were.

First of all the service was pretty decent. No rushing at all, poured our wine-several times-cleared the table when necessary (almost too much actually), gave the specials, refilled water glasses. No real complaints there.

Secondly, our appetizers were good. Jennie and I shared tri-color salad (not something that can be fucked up anyway) and Barb had a zucchini stuffed with chicken, veggies and cheese surrounded by giant white beans (yum) in a really good sauce.

We all chose a past for dinner: I stuck to my usual-Taglialini Toscana-linguine with white beans, spinach and garlic. It was wonderful. Jennie had Pappardelle Valtellina-with sundried tomatoes and porcini mushrooms. Also great. And Barb had Rigatoni Ponte Vecchio-with pancetta, onions and peas in a light pink sauce. My fork was in her plate almost as much as it was in my own :)

Dessert was fresh strawberries in zabaglione (a bit too much of an anisette flavor) but otherwise, yummy!

We sat and chatted and no one sang happy birthday (which Barbara appreciated). It was fun and warm and we will go back. Who knew?

Saturday, Michael and I drove out to Martha Clara Vineyards for a 40th birthday celebration for Lori. That was really fun. The wine was even decent (and that was another surprise for Long Island). I liked the 5-0 red better than the Cab-Franc. Steve provided tons of appetizers and food for lunch and we had a really good time :)

Same evening we had the 3rd Annual Forest Hills Youth Activities Association Dinner, Dance and Benefit Auction at Bruno's on the Boulevard (ridiculous name for a place). I arrived in the clown car: Judy drove and out piled-Judy, Ross, Lenny, Jill, Lisa, Evan, Lisa B. and myself. All in costume looking goofy-but laughing at ourselves.

Michael had gone over early to set up the equipment for the amazing slide show he prepares every year! Everyone was really appreciative and the show was great!

The food is edible, the wine is crappy, the music got funky, but I have to say we had fun anyway! Michael and I won 4 prizes from the raffle table. We won: a HUGE bottle of Patron, a bottle of Vodka, 3 bottles of wine with really nice wood cases, 2 handbags and a digital camera. Yippee! Of course, we had to buy the raffle tickets first...

Sunday we spent the afternoon and evening at Glenn and Eileen's handing out candy to trick-or-treaters (all said thank you-very polite children in Commack). We had a roaring fire, turkey chili, tons of appetizers and good wine. Best of all...the company!

Today I was awakened to INTENSELY LOUD drilling outside my windows. The building is pointing bricks and removing our old terraces to make way for new. I am sure it will all be lovely, but now, just REALLY LOUD!

That's all for now...I cannot hear my self type :)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks again Jan and Jennie for a lovely birthday evening.

    Barb

    ReplyDelete