Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Compound Butter

Last night I left ten sticks of butter out on my kitchen counter to soften.

This morning I made compound butter:

Soy and Scallion; Lemon and Pepper; Dill and Lemon; Caper and Anchovy; Parsley and Garlic.

I used two sticks for each flavor, mixed them with the appropriate additions, scooped the butter onto waxed paper, used the edge of a cookie sheet to gently push the butter into a roll, wrapped the butter in tin foil and labeled the outside (no one wants anchovies when they are expecting lemon), then put them in the freezer.

Here's the crazy thing:  I almost never cook with butter anymore. Extra virgin olive oil only, even for eggs, but I always read that compound butters are something you should have on hand.  So now I do.

Have a nice day!

No comments:

Post a Comment